- About the package
- 2021/22 Planning Package
- Legislative timeframes for submission of 2019/20 DHB Statements of Performance Expectations
- Well Child / Tamariki Ora Quality Improvement Framework
- System Level Measures Framework
- Regional hepatitis C guidance
- Long Term Conditions Outcome Framework
- Equity actions in the DHB Annual Plans
- Previous planning packages
Well Child / Tamariki Ora Quality Improvement Framework
Updated 29 October 2020.
The Ministry of Health, in partnership with sector experts, developed the Well Child / Tamariki Ora (WCTO) Quality Improvement Framework in 2013, drawing on New Zealand and international research.
The Framework has three aims: focusing on family/whānau experience; population health and best value for the health system; and setting quality indicators to audit health system performance.
The Framework and quality indicators provide a mechanism to drive improvement in the delivery of WCTO services. Ultimately, they aim to support the WCTO programme to ensure all children and their families/whānau are supported to achieve their health and wellbeing potential.
Under the Framework, the quality indicators are reviewed every three years. The 2016 review included consultation with the sector. The Raising Healthy Kids Health Target, the sector System Level Measures and the New Zealand Health Strategy were considered as part of the review.
The key changes to the indicators are the reduction in the number of indicators from 27 to 18 - indicators were either retired because they had been consistently achieved or removed to streamline the data set - and the inclusion of indicators on screening for family violence and Sudden Unexpected Death in Infancy (SUDI) awareness.
Publication of quality indicators data
The 27 WCTO quality indicator set reports were published every six months between September 2013 and March 2016, for the reporting periods ending respectively 30 June and 31 December and remain available on the Ministry of Health website and the HQSC Atlas of Healthcare Variation.
Available below is the latest quality indicator report (September 2019) and historical reports back to March 2015 for the set of 18 indicators. These reports support WCTO health system partners to maintain their focus on quality improvement and system integration, both within and outside of the WCTO Quality Improvement Framework.
The information within the report has been improved and enhanced for users by incorporating a definition table; a data table with numerators and denominators; and, interactive graphs with results by both DHB and quality indicator, by region, and by ethnicity.
WCTO Quality Indicator Report - March 2020 (xlsx, 293 KB)
WCTO Quality Indicator Report - September 2019 (xls, 549 KB)
WCTO Quality Indicator Report - November 2018 (xlsx, 255 KB)
WCTO Quality Indicator Report - March 2018 (xlsx, 258 KB)
WCTO Quality Indicator Report - September 2017 (xlsx, 254 KB)
- WTCO Quality Indicator Report September 2019 (xlsx, 549 KB)
- WTCO Quality Indicator Report May 2019 (xlsx, 259 KB)
- WTCO Quality Indicator Report November 2018 (xlsx, 255 KB)
- WTCO Quality Indicator Report March 2018 (xlsx, 256 KB)
- WTCO Quality Indicator Report September 2017 (xlsx, 254 KB)
- WTCO Quality Indicator Report March 2017 (xlsx, 255 KB)
- WTCO Quality Indicator Report September 2016 (xlsx, 262 KB)
- WTCO Quality Indicator Report March 2016 (xlsx, 263 KB)
- WTCO Quality Indicator Report September 2015 (xlsx, 262 KB)
- WTCO Quality Indicator Report March 2015 (xlsx, 263 KB)
- revised Data Standard (docx, 93 KB)
- revised Reporting Template (xlsx, 20 KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions for WCTO Providers/Nurses (docx, 431 KB)
- Intervention Logic (pdf, 380 KB)
- wcto_report_march_2020_final_public.xlsx (xlsx, 293 KB)
- wcto_report_september_2020.xlsx (xlsx, 688 KB)